ANNIE GRACE SABIN - March 30, 2010 - August 1, 2010

ANNIE GRACE SABIN - March 30, 2010 - August 1, 2010


Monday, March 8, 2010

Almost Here!

I figure it is time for another update. We went to our last echocardiogram on Friday (March 5th). Walking into the hospital, it hit me that the next time we come to PCMC it will be to be with Annie as a patient. It was hard for me not to get emotional thinking ahead to what the next few weeks will bring. After the procedure, we met with Dr. Pinto. We did not have near as many questions as last time. The most important thing that I wanted to know was whether we have a good chance of bringing her home with us in a week or so, or if they really believe that she is going to require surgery in the beginning and therfore, a much longer hospital stay. Dr. Pinto said that they have seen so few of these cases that it is very hard to predict what the outcome will be. She said that the couple she knew of had turned out well- as far as she knows they have not been back for surgery since their repair was done. Both of these patients were able to wait several months before they had surgery. She then told us that Annie's arteries are indeed very large- bigger than what they have seen in babies previously. She said that while Annie might do fine in the beginning, if she were to make her best guess she thinks that Annie will likely need to go on a ventilator when she is born. This means that early surgery is a very real and even probable possibility. Not what we were hoping to hear, but something that I suspected after talking to my perinatologist a couple of weeks ago. After reading the report from PCMC, he told me to prepare myself for a ventilator and what that would mean for our baby.

Today I met with Dr. Froerer to set an induction date. We have heard so many opinions about what the best course of action is that it is very hard to know what we should do. Annie has measured small the entire pregnancy, so some of the doctors are worried that my due date is a week later than we think it is. For this reason, they want to wait a little longer before inducing labor. Other doctors have stressed how important it is for us to be at the U. and that an induction would be ideal, because they would be fully staffed and ready for her when she is born. The problem is that I have always gone early on my own, so I don't know if I will make it to a later induction date. Today, we tentatively picked March 30th- one week before what I know my due date is and two weeks before the ultrasound due date. I hope she stays put till then- Hadley came 18 days early on her own! No matter what we choose, the wait will be over soon.

As scary as it is, I think I am ready to get her here and deal with the obstacles ahead. I just hope she is a fighter and ready for whatever lies in store. I know that no matter what happens, she will be a great blessing to our family and we will never be the same after knowing and loving her.

1 comment:

  1. I just wanted to post letting you know I am following your blog. I found it through IHH. I am praying for your family and for Annie. We had a diagnosis while i was pregnant that was very bad and she was not expected to do well. When she was born they were able to see her heart much better and things were much better. She was diagnosed with D-TGA, VSD, ASD, and CoA. She is now doing wonderful. She has one hole unimpaired and now a valve that is leaking. She is a very active little girl. We have a son born with Craniosystosis. He is doing perfect. Our oldest is HH. We are now expecting #4 and so far so good!